Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Year of the house

So, I’m sure everyone is wondering where in the world Cas has been?  Well, I’ll tell you where I’ve been.  I’ve been working.  Not only at my job, but also at the house.  2012 is the year of the house.  Little known fact, my bride and I have been in our house for just over three years and we are yet to put any paint on the walls, the horror.  We’ve painted a thing or two in the house,furniture and such, but the walls are all the same bland color that it was when we purchased the house.  So that being said, we’re forcing ourselves to customize our house and make it our own.  Now I can read everyone’s mind, you’re all thinking, “Well what have you done so far?”  Thanks for asking, below I will show you!  There is a lot more to come folks so hold onto your seat! 

The first thing we did was get rid of our old pantry system that we hated so much.
See how cluttered that is?  With only 3 shelves we were limited in our organization.
Look at all this crap we had crammed in there!




But thanks to our good friends at IKEA we put in a new shelving unit and was able to cram even more crap into the pantry!
Next we decided to move our climbing rose to block our storage building from the road.  Sorry I forgot to take a before picture, it’s just an ugly metal building.  So I built an 8x8 foot lattice wall for the rose to climb on.
Now we just need to move the rose and that project will get the done stamp.
Then last month I was walking through the Home Depot and I noticed in the end cap they had a section of doors for over 200 dollars off retail.  And wouldn’t you know it, it’s the exact door I wanted.  Not the door the wife wanted, but at the price she couldn’t argue with me.  After fighting with someone who thought that just because they had already paid for the door that fit my house they could have it, I brought the door home.  You read that right, the door I bought had already been purchased by someone else and put on hold.  I had the Home Depot call the guy and convince him that he didn’t really want the door as bad as I did.
Here is the old ugly door.
*Side note about the old door.  I knew it wasn't installed correctly, but I had no idea just how poorly it was installed.  When I ripped it out the hole I was shocked!  Not one shim was used, and they didn't even glue the threshold! 
And here is the new door, before it was painted.  I need to get a picture of it painted, it looks much better black.

I also framed in a larger floor space in our tiny attic to store some stuff that is crammed in closets to make them a little more usable. 
As we complete more projects I’ll keep everyone posted.  Hopefully by the end of 2012 you guys will have seen a complete home transformation at the Smith House.  *Curse you pinterest for adding even more projects to my todo list!

2 comments:

  1. I love home improvement projects, but I think it's mostly because I secretly LOVE going to Lowe's & Home Depot (I guess that's not a secret anymore, huh?). LOVE the new front door & the shelving system in the pantry. Looks like you & your bride are off to a good start. I can't wait to see how the climbing roses do with the trellis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is all I can say about all your projects!! Ya done good!!!

    ReplyDelete