Monday, January 11, 2010

Sweet Epiphany Batman

Due to a trip to Birmingham this weekend I don’t have a movie to give a review on today.  But I think what I do have is just as good.  This weekend we were invited to an Epiphany party.  Epiphany is the celebration of the Wise Men arriving after their long journey at the side of 6 lb 4 oz little baby Jesus.  This party is hosted by a long time family friend of Melissa’s parents.  The Host is 90 years old and has been throwing this party for the last 31 years.  If you’re doing the math in your head that would mean that this party has been hosted by her since before I was born.  The same group of party goers attend this event every year, so that means everyone is at least twice as old as me, except for the hired help who was only 27 years older than me.  Melissa and I were seated at a small table with a cute little couple in their 70’s.  They had some fun stories to tell and made for great conversation, so no complaints there.  The food was wonderful, pork roast, stuffed squash, Manhattan Shrimp sauce over long grain rice, green bean Almondean and fresh homemade bread.  We were worried going in that we would be bored out of our minds since the age difference was so great, but once we sat down to eat it was an enjoyable time.  I now think I want to find me an old person to adopt.  Someone to go over to their house, help out with chores and listen to stories of the “good old days”.  If said old person is wealthy with no remaining family that would be a huge bonus.  ;)  Seriously though, I think as young adults we should be spending more time with our elderly and taking better care of them.  I know for some of them it has be pretty lonely at times.  I didn’t make any New Year’s resolutions this year, but maybe I should put this on my list.  BTW, old people will surprise you, the lady at my table had an iPhone and her 74 year old husband was excited about getting his as soon as his contract ran out.  So “Do  Work” old people!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Cas that is really kind of you and Melissa. I'm glad y'all had fun-I need to be invited to that kind of party! I love spending time with my grannie and hearing her stories of when she was little.

    ReplyDelete